Recently many users complained that their Malwarebytes web protection won’t turn on or won’t start. This issue caused more problem for Malwarebytes premium users. If your malwarebytes real time protection won’t turn on or keep turning off then you came to the right place.
Here in this article we will explain the 6 methods to fix malwarebytes web protection won’t turn error for Windows users. You can use the combination from the below mentioned solutions to fix, if malwarebytes web protection is off.
Before we head towards the solution it is important to know what is this malwarebytes web protection feature.
What is Malwarebytes Web Protection
At present, Malwarebytes anti malware is the most popular and best PC security software. This tool has a Web protection settings in it. The idea behind this feature is to protect users from malicious websites, that forcefully install malware in their computer.
These days’ internet has become the major distributor of malware. Now if malwarebytes web protection options won’t open then its an alarming situation for you.
How To Fix Malwarebytes Web Protection Won’t Turn On Error?
Follow anyone of these solutions if malwarebytes web protection won’t start.
- Clean Reinstallation of Malwarebytes
- Re-Run the Program on Your Computer
- Update Malwarebytes to the Latest Version
- Uninstall the Driver for MBAM Web Protection
- Add the Following Files and Folders to the Exceptions List in Your AV
- Restart the MBAM Service
Solution 1: Clean Reinstall of Malwarebytes
Most of the time malwarebytes web protection won’t turn on error is fixed if you clean reinstall MBAM in your PC. But this step is bit difficult for Malwarebytes premium users because they have to retrieve their Activation ID and Key. Follow these steps to locate ID and Key.
Step 1: Press Windows + R key > type “Regedit” > go to following location to retrieve ID and Key,
Location for Windows x86 32-Bit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Location for Windows x64 64-Bit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Step 2: Now that you have retrieved Activation ID and Key, now proceed to uninstallation process.
- Open MBAM > My Account > Deactivate > Settings > Advanced Settings > uncheck box next to the “Enable self-protection module.”
- Now close window > download mbam-clean.exe tool [Close all open programs and temporarily disable your antivirus]
- Run the mbam-clean.exe tool > Reboot PC when asked > Download Malwarebytes Anti Malware the latest version
- Uncheck the box next to the Trial option > Click on Activation once program lunches > Copy and paste retrieved Activation ID and Key in the dialog box. It will automatically activate malwarebytes premium version.
Those users who don’t own malwarebytes premium or pro version they are not required to follow these steps. Just apply steps 1-3.
Solution 2: Re-Run the Program on Your Computer
Our second solution to fix malwarebytes web protection won’t turn on error is to simply re run MBAM. This process takes minor changes on your computer.
- Quit Malwarebytes from system tray icon > right click on MBAM icon to do that.
- Then double click to reopen program.
Although this fix doesn’t prove much useful to many users but you can still try it.
Solution 3: Update Malwarebytes to the Latest Version
Most of the time malwarebytes web protection error occurred in outdated MBAM version. To counter this issue developer released updated version to solve this problem. This method 100% working. To do that follow these steps.
Note: Every time a new version is released, Malwarebytes for Windows display a popup message to update it to new version. If you get this message, simply click on Install Now button and go to step 5.
There are many reasons if you don’t receive this message. For instance, you might have disabled this function, But there is a way to manually update malwarebytes app.
- Open Malwarebytes > Click on Settings > Application > Scroll on Application updates section > Click on install application updates.
- If there is any update it will download and install automatically. Click OK.
Follow the on screen instruction and restart your PC if it asks. It will surely fix malwarebytes web protection won’t turn on error.
Solution 4: Uninstall the Driver for MBAM Web Protection
In our experience uninstalling MBAM driver proved to be very useful and this web protection issue. Because when you uninstall this driver and reboot your PC, MBAM antivirus tool forcefully installs this driver. This actually solve malwarebytes web protection won’t turn on error. Follow these steps.
- Quit malwarebytes from system tray
- Run command prompt as administrator > Copy and paste following command and hit enter. sc delete mbamwebprotection
- Now Restart your computer and reopen Malwarebytes.
- Go to Settings> Web protection tab > Check Real-Time Protection section for Web Protection > Turn on slider.
Hopefully now you won’t see this web protection error. Still if this error persists, try our next fix.
Solution 5: Add the Following Files and Folders to the Exceptions List in Your AV
MBAM web protection feature usually cause problem if you are running other antivirus tool in your system. If that’s the case then you need to add following files and folder to the malwarebytes exception list.
When you are done adding in exception list, simply download the latest antivirus version and install it over your current one.
- Open antivirus user interface.
- Every antivirus software places exception list in different places. If you are running Kaspersky, AVG or Avast then you can find this list in following path.
Kaspersky Internet Security: Home > Settings > Additional > Threats and Exclusions > Exclusions > Specify Trusted Applications > Add. AVG: Home > Settings > Components > Web Shield > Exceptions. Avast: Home > Settings > General > Exclusions.
Now you need to place following files and folders to the exceptions list:
Files: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys Folders: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService
Solution 6: Restart the MBAM Service
The last solution to fix malwarebytes web protection won’t turn on error is to restart MBAM service. When you face this web protection error, you will see MBAMService.exe file running wildly consuming high CPU usage and RAM. The only way to fix this corrupt file is by fixing service.
Now to do this.
- Open Task Manager > Click on more details to see all services > Locate MBAMService.exe entry > Right click on it and choose End Task > Click yes.
- Click on File > Run New Task > Type MBAMService.exe > OK
- Now restart your PC
After following these steps it will fix malwarebytes web protection won’t turn on error on Windows PC.
Did Any Of These Solutions Help You?
Did the above solutions help you to fix malwarebytes web protection won’t turn on error?
Did We miss any solution that proved useful to you?
Which solution did you like that solved your problem? Do share your thoughts with us via posting a comment.